La Galissonniére-class Light Cruiser
Ships in class: La Galissonnière, Georges Leygues, Montcalm, Jean de Vienne, Marseillaise, Gloire
The La Galissonnière cruiser class was commissioned by the French Navy in the 1930s. They were the last French cruisers completed after 1935, until the completion of De Grasse in 1956. They are considered as fast, reliable and successful ships. Two cruisers of this class, Georges Leygues and Montcalm, took part, in late September, 1940, in the defence of Dakar. With the cruiser Gloire, they joined the Allied forces, after the successful Allied landings in North Africa, on November 1942.
The three other cruisers of the La Galissoniere class, held under Vichy control in Toulon, were scuttled on November 27, 1942.